Hey! So you may or may not know, but I am currently a mentoring a student teacher again and I am absolutely loving it! Here are some of the things I have been teaching my trainee...!
We're 5 weeks into the new school year and my student teacher has come such a long way already! I've been sitting here reflecting on progress we've made so far, and I wanted to share the top things my student has learned in these short few weeks. These might help you if you're a new teacher of if you're mentoring or thinking about being a mentor in the future. So, here we go!
1) Always write detailed lesson plans - it gets you thinking about your lessons in the right way.
2) Reflect on every lesson - the good, the bad, the ugly and set yourself targets based off of these reflections.
3) Greet your students outside the classroom first to establish yourself as being in control of the room.
4) Always have extra resources / activities available for the early finishers.
5) Don't be afraid to adapt your lesson if your activities or ideas don't work how you planned.
6) Keep an eye on the clock and leave enough time to pack away - it often takes longer than you think.
7) Have an arsenal of games and activities you can do at the end of the lesson in case you finish early.
If you're interested in learning more, I've gone into more detail on each of these points giving more detailed advice and I've added 3 more tips to make it a nice round number, in this free 4 page resource on top 10 things all new teachers need to learn - asap! You can click the link to download and get a free subscription to my newsletter for more goodies, ideas, hints and tips on innovative teaching!
This section will not be visible in live published website. Below are your current settings:
Current Number Of Columns are = 1
Expand Posts Area =
Gap/Space Between Posts = 15px
Blog Post Style = card
Use of custom card colors instead of default colors =
Blog Post Card Background Color = current color
Blog Post Card Shadow Color = current color
Blog Post Card Border Color = current color
Publish the website and visit your blog page to see the results