Keep reading until the end where I share some tips for things you can do in your classroom as well as a free download just for you!
- Have the image below up on your projector or print off some cards for the students to use a reference during the day - then encourage everyone to try at least once to use of these words or phrases.
- Ask students to answer to their names during the register using pirate speak (maybe "Ahoy" or "Aye"!)
- You can give verbal feedback in pirate speak: "Shiver me timbers - what a fantastic answer, matey!"
- Warn students in advance that this day is coming up and they should research some popular words or phrases to use in lessons beforehand - maybe the student who uses pirate speak the most during the day can win a prize!
- Play pirate speak bingo - students can make up their own grid using words from the image below or any they researched themselves. Every time someone hears a word or phrase said in pirate speak during the day, they can check it off their grid - the first person to check them all off wins a prize! (How about some chocolate gold coins?!)
- Get hold of some props like a bandana, eye patch, hat, beard, feather, hook etc. and dress up for the students!
Also check out this Pirate Themed Board on Pinterest which has a range of great ideas for your classroom: